Juvenile Offense Attorney In Pasadena

If your child has been charged with a crime, he or she may face more than criminal consequences. Your son or daughter could lose his or her right to drive, or be denied entrance into college, a college scholarship, and could face other life consequences, including a "strike" that would follow your child into adulthood. At Pasadena Criminal Attorneys, we know that protecting your child's future is just as important as providing an aggressive defense against the alleged crime.

Is your child facing criminal charges? Do his or her rights need protection? Contact Pasadena Criminal Attorneys today at 626-376-4354 to get an aggressive defense.

Attorneys Antony Myers and Meline Mkrtichian established their criminal defense practice after tenures as prosecutors with the district attorney's office. They know how prosecutors view juvenile offenses and understand the strategies needed to minimize or eliminate the penalties your son or daughter faces. You can trust their abilities to obtain a favorable outcome.

Juvenile Drug And Alcohol Charges

If your child is caught drinking alcohol under 21: Your child can be convicted of a misdemeanor and your child can lose his or her driver's license for one year (regardless of whether your child was driving a car). Under California law, when a minor is convicted of an alcohol-related crime (such as the purchase, possession or consumption of alcohol, furnishing alcohol to a minor or possessing an open container of alcohol in public), the minor's driver's license may be suspended for one year.

If your child was driving a car, your child can be charged with DUI if there's any trace of alcohol in his or her body (even just .01 percent blood alcohol content). If your child is over 21, driving a car after drinking can lead to loss of his or her driver's license for at least six months, paying fines and court costs up to $10,000, enormous increases in his or her auto insurance premiums, a criminal misdemeanor record for DUI and probation for three to five years.

Under federal regulations, students lose eligibility for Federal Student Aid when they are convicted under state or federal law for any drug offense involving the possession or sale of a controlled substance as defined by section 102(6) of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. § 802(6)).

Our Juvenile Crime Defense Practice

Our lawyers handle all types of juvenile offenses, including both misdemeanors and felonies. Juvenile offenses we handle include:

  • Trespassing
  • Vandalism, graffiti
  • Underage drinking and driving
  • Minor in possession of alcohol
  • Drug possession and other drug crimes
  • Theft, shoplifting, robbery
  • Gang activity
  • Cybercrimes such as cyberstalking and cyberbullying

We believe that a juvenile offense should be charged as such. Thus, we put considerable effort into ensuring your child's case remains in juvenile court where in most circumstances an adjudication with a sustained petition is not a criminal conviction and can be sealed, never becoming a public record haunting your child. We review the facts and negotiate with prosecutors to lessen the offense and penalties in favor of more suitable punishments such as probation and community service. However, rest assured that if your child is charged and tried as an adult, we will do everything possible to protect his or her rights.

'Gang' Crimes

Has your child been accused of committing a crime in connection with a gang? Have prosecutors used The STEP Act to serve your child with an injunction? Has the government overreached by using Penal Code Section 186.22 enhancement to turn a minor offense into a gang crime? Gang crimes increase the penalties your child faces. A shoplifting charge may result in probation but, if associated with gang activity, could lead to time in a juvenile detention center or even jail. When establishing your child's defense, we consider all possibilities to remove the gang crime association and eliminate the unfair consequences.

Minimizing Penalties And Consequences

In addition to minimizing consequences for your child today, we also strive to protect his or her future by eliminating consequences for the future. If your child remains on good behavior and completes the probation or other court-ordered penalties, we may be able to seal the criminal record. Similar to expungement, sealing a record in most instances prevents the public (e.g., employers and schools) from viewing past criminal history and will after time allow the record to be destroyed completely.

Contact Us

To learn more information or to schedule an appointment with an experienced juvenile crime defense attorney, please contact us. We care about protecting the futures of our clients.